Super Bowl parties are the perfect time for indulgent dips and fried things that we try to avoid with New Year’s resolutions. Well, at least this divine dip from the ESPN Zone in the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort has spinach and artichokes – and you can nibble with carrot and celery sticks (but it’s really delish on garlic bread).
Gooey, hot . . . it goes fast.
Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Makes 8 cups
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
1/4 cup diced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups whole or 2% milk
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
2 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
8-ounce package cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened
2 1/2 (10-ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 (14.5-ounce) cans quartered artichoke hearts, drained
1 cup shredded mozzarella
Tortilla chips, carrot and celery sticks, garlic bread, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add flour; cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in cream and milk, then bring to simmer, whisking often until sauce is thick and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add white pepper and Parmesan, stirring until well incorporated. Remove from heat. Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire, and hot sauce. Mix well.
- Fold in cream cheese, stirring well until cream cheese is completely incorporated. Add spinach, stirring to combine. Add artichoke hearts, stirring gently so as not to break up the artichokes.
- Pour mixture into a 9×9-inch baking dish and sprinkle mozzarella evenly on top.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until cheese on top is completely melted and bubbling.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips, carrot and celery sticks, and/or garlic bread.